Annual Meeting Minutes
2003 Archived Board Minutes
2004 Archived Board Minutes
2005 Archived Board Minutes
Meeting of 20 September 2006
Present: Grace Cordial, Felicia Yeh, Heather South, Tally Johnson, Marie Martin, DebbieLee Landi, Nancy Sambets, Alan Burns, Nic Butler, Nichole Green
Call to Order: Meeting was called to order at 10:45am by Chair Grace Cordial.
Board minutes of June 27th were approved.
Treasurer’s Report: Nic Butler reported 57 member organizations paid to date.
a. Website – Grace, Nancy Sambets, and DebbieLee Landi made edits and the old minutes are being put up on the website.
b. Datalogger – Tally Johnson handed out a sample form for borrowing dataloggers, will add District Rep names after annual conference, add web address to form, discussed adding datalogger directions on website and posting datalogger form. SCFM will be publishing Shannon Hay’s datalogger directions. DebbieLee will create a brief survey for those who borrow the dataloggers.
c. Logo – Three choices chosen by the Board will be presented to the membership for a vote at the annual meeting. Marie Martin will obtain estimates for new stationary with the new logo.
The Book Repair Workshop will be a joint program with the Greenville County Library.
Michael Kohl of SCAA will be asked to send book repair flyer email to their members.
Grace will ask Amy Duernberger to email flyer to the schools. Debra Hutchins or Curtis Rogers (of the State Library) should have a list of contacts to send flyers. Max. number of participants is 50 but only enough supplies for 35. Grace, Nic Butler and Heather South attended the Book Repair Workshop for presenters. Marie Ferrara will oversee Nic and Grace as they present the Book Repair Workshop on October 20th at the Greenville Library.
DebbieLee had lunch with John Sherer of SCFM at the Historical Columbia Foundation. He is agreeable to a joint meeting in the spring, to sharing membership lists, to put Shannon Hay’s datalogger instructions on their website, and to placing a link to PALMCOP website on the SCFM website.
Sarah Wooten of the Confederate Relic Room will share PALMCOP Conference brochure with others.
SCLA meeting in November. PALMCOP is co-sponsoring speakers Holly Herro and Dr. Scott Good for $125.00.
SCAA conference will be held on October 10th and will ask Michael Kohl to give out PALMCOP flyer that day.
Nic researched cost of portable sound system and prices varied from $250 to $350. Discussion regarding type of microphone and how much to spend followed. Nic will investigate cost of karaoke machines as another option. The rooms are all set for the annual conference so there is no immediate need for sound system.
Grace had difficulties trying to order the storage cabinets for PALMCOP items at SCDAH. The company had problems because the check was coming from one address and the ship to address was different. Discussion regarding need for credit card in PALMCOP name followed. Nic will investigate a gift/credit card so that Grace can order cabinets.
Harlan Greene presented a book repair training workshop. Grace, Nic and Heather attended.
Grace did not have time to write letter of support for NHPRC.
Grace passed around mock up flyer for the conference. Discussion regarding fees followed. Suggestions to specify Disaster Combo on flyer. Motion made to approve early registration fee of $40 for members and $60 for non-members. Motion approved.
Felicia and Nichole offered to set up food. Felicia will call Truly Scrumptious for catering.
Board discussed dressing in rain gear to coordinate with the theme of the conference.
Discussion on Door Prizes. Suggestions included umbrellas, ponchos, rain hats, waterproof paper, glow in the dark flashlights, hand crank radio. Motion made to approve $100 for purchasing door prizes. Motion approved. Nancy will purchase door prizes.
There will be no vendors this year.
Board members going off this year include Grace (6 yrs), Felicia (6 yrs). Marie, Nic, Nancy and DebbieLee would like to be re-nominated. Need to fill District 2, District 3, and Vice Chair. Grace will send recommendations to Harlan who is head of the nomination committee.
Disaster Template needs to be updated on the website. Might be easier to link to the D-Plan website – this is free.
Grace asked that LaRuchala Murphy be invited to Annual Meeting and present her with a certificate for working on the logo.
Grace is working on sending out brochures.
Motion made to room and board guest speaker if required. Motion approved.
Registration packets to include 2005 annual meeting minutes, logo examples, datalogger forms, nominations for Board, agenda, and treasurer’s report. Nancy will put the packets together.
At lunch, each Board member will chat with folks at tables for the last session of the conference.
Meeting adjourned at 1:00pm.
Meeting of 5 April 2006
Seibels House, Historic Columbia Foundation, Columbia
Present: Grace Cordial, Felicia Yeh, Heather South, Josh Gillispie, Tally Johnson, Marie Martin, DebbieLee Landi, Nancy Sambets, Sheila Washington
Call to Order: Meeting was called to order at 11:00am by Chair Grace Cordial.
Board minutes of September 27th were approved. Annual Board meeting minutes will be approved at 2006 Annual Meeting. Board minutes of January 3rd were approved with spelling correction of DebbieLee’s name.
The Board recognized, Heather South of SCDAH, she is the Preservation Officer and liaison with PALMCOP.
Treasurer’s Report: Nic Butler was unable to attend but sent a report showing current balance of $9568.54. Income from membership renewals was $390.00. There are 52 member organizations.
Saving the NHPRC – Roy Tryon asked for letters to be sent and motion was made and approved for Grace Cordial to write and send letter from PALMCOP.
PALMCOP logo design – DebbieLee Landis, Marie Martin and Nancy Sambets brought in design ideas. They are the new logo committee formed to work on design options to bring to the next meeting. It was decided that the new logo design will be taken to the Annual Meeting for membership approval.
Datalogger Sharing Procedure –
Tally Johnson has drafted loan use forms.
Marie Martin has sent letters and visited local sites.
DebbieLee Landis made an announcement and will create a flyer.
Felicia Yeh requested procedures on how to use datalogger.
DebbieLee Landi will ask Alan Burns to have step by step instructions prepared since they use the same HOBOs.
Will promote datalogger program at the Annual Meeting.
Motion made that District Representatives come up with procedures and forms for sharing dataloggers and bring to next meeting.
District Representative activities:
Tally Johnson – emailed local members to renew membership, tried to get new members, will do site visits if requested.
Marie Martin – visited various sites and calling local organizations to let them know about PALMCOP and dataloggers.
Grace Cordial suggested contacting local churches as well.
Felicia Yeh – talked to Jeanette Bergeron to be on focus group for SHRAB.
Annual Conference ideas:
1. Disk recovery with Mr. Paolini.
2. Presentation on dataloggers.
3. Prepare community resources for disaster – have FEMA talk about forms, paperwork, and other steps involved when a disaster strikes. Grace Cordial will contact FEMA.
4. Contact Antiquarian Society to talk about rare books and inks.
5. Session on how to handle patron requests.
Discussion regarding PALMCOP becoming member of other organizations such as SCLA, SCAA, SCDAH Friends. Send list of potential organizations with fees to Grace Cordial for consideration. Board will continue to mull the idea.
Possible dates for Annual Meeting are November 9th or 16th. Heather South will check on availability. Plan to use the Wachovia Room and hallway for food set up.
DebbieLee Landis – wanted to know who is responsible for website and updates. She will collaborate with Heather South since someone at SCDAH keeps the website for us.
Chair Grace Cordial made a motion to call Executive Session, 2nd by DebbieLee Landis.
Tally Johnson made a motion to end Executive Session, 2nd by Marie Martin.
Next Meeting: Not determined. The next meeting will be held in July.
Meeting adjourned at 12:30pm. Several Board members stayed to tour HCF sites.
Meeting of 31 January 2006
Northeast Regional Library, Richland County Public Library, Columbia
Present: Grace Cordial, Felicia Yeh, Nichole Green, Alan Burns, Tally Johnson, Marie Martin, Debbielee Landi, Nancy Sambets
Guest: Richard Harris of SCDAH
Call to Order: Meeting was called to order at 10:35am by Chair Grace Cordial.
Board minutes of September 27th and Annual Minutes of December 8th will be brought to next meeting for Board approval.
Welcome new Board Member DebbieLee Landi of Furman University as District 4 Representative.
Notification of Board resignation: Sarah Murray is resigning from PALMCOP Board and SCDAH. Her resignation leaves the Vice Chair vacant. The Vice Chair becomes the next Chair for 2007 as Grace Cordial will be finished with her term in December 2006. The Board will think about a replacement and discuss again at the next meeting.
Treasurer’s Report: Nic Butler was unable to attend but sent a report showing current balance of $9176.66.
Nic Butler also sent the 5 new data loggers with software to be distributed among the District Representatives.
Annual Conference Evaluations: will need to address the following issues for next time –
More advance notice for conference
Wireless microphone for speakers who choose not to use podium
More handouts from speakers and maybe more from PALMCOP
Work in time for folks to visit with vendors
Schedule conference for earlier in the fall – maybe Oct/Nov
Conference Topics: ideas to consider based on evaluations -
Expert to talk about paper, ink and bindings
Expert to discuss money, forgeries, etc. (author of The Color of Money)
Dealing with donations, public relations and appraisals – keynote speaker?
Records Management Programs – Clemson has an award winning program (possible speaker)
Tours of other institutions such as Historic Columbia – perhaps each District Rep can organize a tour in their area and invite PALMCOP members
Bring in Your Stuff – evaluate items from the community, each District could plan this and get help from other Board members
Thinking about having a keynote speaker and 2 concurrent sessions for the next conference.
Design Data Logger sharing process: District Reps should come up with ideas on how this process should work – how long, who can check it out, etc. Each Representative should contact PALMCOP members in their districts and report back at the next meeting.
Does PALMCOP need an updated image? Discussion regarding whether to update the logo. Each Board member will bring a logo design to the next meeting for review. Final selection will be put to the membership to vote on.
Decision made to not send out newsletters but will continue to inform the members via email.
Need to update website information. Discussion about whom to contact and maintaining the webpage.
Discussion in regards to attending poster sessions at other conferences and what to have available for folks to learn more about PALMCOP. The Board will come up with ideas for next time.
Need for a PALMCOP brochure to hand out at poster sessions or just to have available.
Chair Grace Cordial requested that District Representatives contact their local members for program ideas.
Richard Harris of SCDAH was asked by Roy Tryon to talk about SC SHRAB. SHRAB recently ended a 5 year Plan and is now in the Planning Process for determining the next 5 Year Plan. SHRAB gets grants from NHPRC and re-grants them to local organizations within the state. They are arranging to meet with several focus groups to help advise them on preservation and access issues. The three focus groups are: non-gov’t historical records repositories, local gov’t records, and state gov’t records. Richard asked for names of folks to serve on the non-gov’t historical records focus group. The focus group will meet for only one day in Columbia and the meeting will be lead by a facilitator. Attendees will be reimbursed for mileage and lunch will be provided. The SC SHRAB Board will have a one day retreat to review focus group ideas and develop a list of issues to address.
Chair Grace Cordial requested that members of the Board send her contacts by Thursday so she can email one list to Richard Harris by the end of the week.
Next Meeting: Not determined. The next meeting will be held on Wednesday in April.
Meeting adjourned at 12:25pm.
Home Contact Us FAQ Related Links